New Zealand PR Visa
You can apply for a permanent resident visa after you have held a resident visa for 2 years without interruption. You must have also met any conditions imposed on your Resident Visa which can include a sponsorship period of up to 5 years.
If your resident visa is subject to a sponsorship period of five years, you are not therefore able to apply for a permanent resident visa until 5 years after your first day in NZ as a resident.
Requirements for a permanent resident visa of New Zealand:
To be eligible for a permanent resident visa (PRV), the principal applicant in your original residence application must:
- hold a resident visa, or have held one in the last three months
- hold, or have held, that resident visa for at least two years continuously
- have met any conditions that your resident visa was subject of the Immigration Act
- meet relevant character requirements, and
- have met one of five commitment to New Zealand criteria set out below.
If you were not the principal applicant in the original residence application, you normally cannot apply for a permanent resident visa unless you apply at the same time as the principal applicant or later.